Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

Remix Friday: Mexican Waves Scarf

TGIF! Gotta love Fridays. Fridays just feel so exciting and festive. There's so much potential and so much fun to be had. Are you going to have some fun with crochet this weekend? I know I am! Adrienne, the creator of today's Remix Friday project, sure knows how to have fun. She worked up a new spin on a great pattern that really brings out its flavor. 

The Crocheter
"My name is Adrienne and I'm a Maker. By day I guide faculty in teaching & learning with technology and brainstorm ways to innovate in the classroom. By night, I make things: knitting, crocheting, jewelry, Arduino, refinishing old furniture, Modge-Podging old surfaces, modular origami, and baking new recipes."

The Original Pattern
Nancy's Waves Scarf by Cori Dodds 

The Story
"I found the yarn first. It reminded me of these wooden Mexican beads I found at the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show. It's a sock weight and I had no idea what to do with it, but knew I wanted a scarf. I've made numerous versions of this, I prefer it thicker width (the yarn doesn't block at all and pulls inward after just a few minutes wearing it.)  I've given all mine away as gifts, time to make another! I hoarded the yarn --- bought up some 50 skeins when it was on sale at JoAnn!  I also bought up a bunch of the beads (Blue Moon). Eventually I might make a few to sell locally."

The Remix
"The original pattern has the waves going horizontal. I really liked the idea of vertical waves, elongating the look. I also wanted to add silver beads. The other alteration was the fringe, my very own design! Took me AGES to figure out the fringe I wanted...I don't remember how I came up with this...I may have seen something and tried to copy it. The varied length fringe bits make it really fun and really make the scarf. It's the fringe people compliment me on!



Crochet is... "Perfect project cycle. Seriously - during the day I can have projects last months and months (if not years). A crochet project is the perfect cycle and it's rewarding to finish."
  
So pretty! I love the extra sparkle added by the silver beads and the vibrant color of the yarn. Thanks for sharing your lovely scarf with us, Adrienne!

29 comments:

  1. Love this .. Just love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love finding gems on Ravelry. Adrienne did a great job.

      Delete
  2. what is this yarn? It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It certainly is beautiful. Unfortunately, Adrienne didn't tell me what yarn she used :/ Her Ravelry name is adrgau if you want to ask her.

      Delete
  3. Adrienne, folks are just LOVING your take on this scarf. It is popping up all over Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how did she turn the scarf pattern into the shawl? very clever:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE this scarf! I am making one lengthwise with Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable yarn in Stained Glass color and a G hook, it is turning out so pretty! I did have such a hard time figuring out the repeat and how many chains to start with. I ended up off each time and finally had to cut off the extra length and weave in the ends. Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This featured Remix was made by another crocheter and not by me, but I'll help as much as I can. Since the original pattern has you chain 33 stitches plus 1 for the turning chain (34 total), I would chain a multiple of 33 stitches plus one more for the side to side look. Some examples would be 67, 100, 133, 166, 199, 232, 265, or 298.

      I do know a trick for starting chains that are too long. If you make sure to leave a longish tail at the beginning of your chain you can simply untie the slip knot and gently pull out the extra chain stitches if you have too many. Then weave that end in very securely. You did exactly what I would have done :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your reply, and yes that is what I thought originally. It doesn't work however because there are only 2 SC at the beginning and end of the pattern row, but 3 SC are used in the middle repeats. My first attempt was with 298 and it did not work out. I think I have it figured out now. The pattern repeat in the middle of the row is 16 stitches. So I took 33 plus multiples of 16 and then added one at the end and it worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully all of your hard work will be able to help other crocheters as well!

      Delete
    2. LOVE this! Can you share the pattern for the fringe? I would love to make one before the weather turns chilly!

      Delete
  7. A little late...but I had answered some of the questions (fringe, starting chain #, etc.) in the comments: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/adrgau/nancys-waves-scarf/comments

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sara, I love your scarf. I have just started to crochet, and have found al lot of pertty patterns.I want to do yours, it is beautiful.Can you tell be how to get the pattern.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debbie! I'm glad you like the scarf. It's made by crocheter Adrienne though, not me :P The link to the pattern is in the post above. It's called Nancy's Waves Scarf by Cori Dodds.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful scarf. I love the way how you modified the pattern and also the fantastic yarn. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thanks for reading and for commenting. However, please do note that this Remix was made by another crocheter, not me :)

      Delete
  10. I can not get to a printable pattern for this scarf. Please help, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original pattern by Cori Dodds is linked in the post above.

      Delete
  11. Hi Sara, one question, how many chain did you need for this wonderful scarf.... Please answer....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've mentioned a few times, I am not the one who modified the pattern. I interviewed a crocheter who made the lovely alterations. You can find info from her in the text of the post, as well as a link to the original pattern. I know that some of the Ravelry project pages for this scarf contain more information.

      Delete
  12. Hi. Love this pattern. Is it available for buying. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Maritza. You can find the answer to your question in the text of the post. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. HI I love what you did with this pattern! I didn't like the original, I thought the edges were messy. Doing it horizontally really neatens things up. HOw many stitches did you cast on please? (I'll be using 4ply and want it long) I have NO idea how many stitches... even a wild guess. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since this is a featured item by a crocheter other than myself, I'm not sure how many stitches she started with.

      Delete
  14. Love this and wondered if you would share name of yarn? I really love these colors and know my granddaughter will,too. Looking at yarn swatches most seems alike, as in, is it red or orange,or blue? As you can tell, doesn't take much to confuse me!lol. And as to length, if I want my scarf to be roughly 72-84 inches, would 199 or 232 be best starting chain.
    Thank you and an early Happy Thanksgiving!,diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Diane! Thanks for the holiday wish. Unfortunately, I am not able to answer your questions because Adrienne, who I was featuring, made the scarf. She has added a few links to the comment thread above.

      Delete
  15. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! Skinnluer

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.