Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday Focus: Danielle Kassner

Hello again, friends. Another week has passed. Are you looking forward to the three day weekend? My husband's best friend Kyle and his girlfriend will be visiting us from San Francisco. We are picking them up from the airport tonight. Also, Alex and I have our 8-year dating anniversary coming up tomorrow. We will all be going out for a nice dinner to celebrate. I'm really excited!

You know what else I'm excited about? Showing you the work of today's featured designer. Danielle Kassner, sometimes known in the crochet world as Laracroft, has dreamed up some stunning patterns. When I first saw her work I did a double take. 'Is that knitted?', I asked myself. The colorwork in her designs is so detailed that it blows my mind. Never let anyone tell you that you can't do incredible colorwork in crochet! Danielle's projects are proof of the awesome power of the hook. But don't take my word for it...

Who taught you to crochet? How long have you been doing it? 
My mother taught me to crochet when I was about 11. We made granny squares one whole summer. Years later, she pieced them together and gave me the blanket as a wedding gift!

Why do you crochet?
For many reasons: The pleasure of colour, texture and movement; to dream of beauty; and to have things to wear that were never decided upon by any marketing board.

Crochet Favorites
Malabrigo! I love Malabrigo for crochet. I find it wears better crocheted than knitted. But I have no preference in hooks. 

What are you working on right now?
I'm learning to knit with steeks. I'm dreaming of designing a cardigan in crochet jacquard, that would have to be crocheted in the round and then steeked. So I'm working on my steeking chops.  

A few finished objects...
Here are three recent designs which I made for the Malabrigo Freelance Pattern Project. All of them are inspired by Medieval art and architecture, which I've loved since I was a child.  

An upscaled Granny Afghan, inspired by cathedral ceilings. I'm very proud of having designed those Right-Angled triangles. Very difficult! 


A round-yoke pullover in jacquard, because it's not fair that only knitters get to make these. This one is based on a Gothic Rose Window. 


These gloves are based on an illuminated manuscript from Northern Spain. Crocheters should know that crochet jacquard gloves are much nicer than knitted fair isle gloves. Easier to make, and no pesky floats on the inside. 


Truly gorgeous pieces. I am especially fond of that pullover. It is wonderful to see a talented designer imagining such exquisite patterns for crocheters to work up. Crochet is sometimes taken less seriously than knitting, but all you have do to is take one look at Danielle's work to see what folly that is! Her designs can be found on Ravelry. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us today, Danielle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.