Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

Friday Focus: Maja Masar

When the weather outside is frightful...isn't crochet delightful? For sure! I love spending the gusty grey days with my hook and yarn. It's also nice to take a gander at all of the pretties other people are putting together. As I was making my internet-addicted crochet search rounds, I came across the sweet little baby booties of Maja Masar. I have to admit that I'm usually not the biggest fan of baby booties for whatever reason, but when I saw Maja's designs I became a convert. She also has several other sweet patterns. Here she is to chat with us as today's featured designer.

My name is Maja and I come from Zadar, small town in the center of the Croatian coast. I'm the mother of two beautiful children and they are the inspiration for all of my patterns. My son is true little helper. He is only 8 months old and always wants to grab my yarn. :) Here is me with my daughter on a weekend trip. She is reading the map and the rest of us follow.

Who taught you to crochet? How long have you been doing it?
My mother taught me how to crochet basic crochet stitches about 20 year ago, and as she was crocheting only doilies I thought that was all I could crochet. That was not too interesting to me so my hook lay down for 20 years. Then my niece asked me to crochet a cellphone purse for her birthday. I said "ok" and wrote in Google search "crochet". Wow... what I found was amazing and I started crocheting all over again. That was in 2010. Since then I have crocheted baby afghans, baby booties, scarves, hats, bags... about anything you can think of. I sold some baby booties on Facebook and they soon became a huge hit! I have more than 14,000 fans on my page. Now I know that my real passion is designing booties and baby toys.

Why do you crochet?
I started selling my patterns two months ago on Etsy, Ravelry, and Craftsy, and I also have shops on Zibbet and Luulla. That is really my dream job and I hope it will soon become my only job.
 
Crochet Favorites
My favorite crocheting yarn is 100% cotton because of the beautiful and clear color. When I crochet with wool it always seem blurry to me but that doesn't stop me from using wool as well. :) 

What are you working on right now?
Currently I'm working on my patterns. I want to make many of them as I already have many booties that need to be written down. My imagination never stops working and new ideas come to me daily but I just don't have time to write everything so quickly. So I go one at a time and soon there will be many of them. 

A few finished objects...
This is designed as a baby carriage toy, "4 Elements". The idea came to me when my daughter and husband watched Avatar, so I said to myself "Why not?". :) The patterns still waits to be written. 

  
This one was designed when one lady told me "If you crochet flip-flops, I'll buy them." So I did, and she did buy them. :)


This is the first model of baby booties that I crocheted and when they were finished my thoughts were "Ok, now we're talking business", and my adventure with Facebook started. Since then I've improved them but idea is still the same.


So cute and creative! My personal favorite pattern of Maja's is her ladybug baby booties pattern. Her work can be found under the brand Maki Crochet on Etsy, Ravelry, Craftsy, Zibbet, Luulla, and Facebook. Thank you so much for showing us your adorable creations, Maja!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful work, wonderful designs, wonderful everything!

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.