Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Sweet As Honey Baby Set

As you've probably noticed by now, I really enjoy writing baby set patterns. This may or may not have something to do with my baby fever (don't get excited, no babies for a few more years!). In all seriousness, even though desiring a baby is certainly a factor, there are several things about baby blankets and baby sets that inspire me. The first is that babies are only small for a short period of time. It seems fitting that they should have bright, beautiful items that honor this special time in their lives and in the lives of those who love them. I delight in imagining families lovingly creating items from my patterns that can be passed down to the babies of successive generations.

Another thing I love about baby sets is that you can use bold colors and stitches that you might not be able to use with adults. Babies don't mind standing out in a crowd. Baby blankets are like blank canvases that I can fill with fun images and texture.

The third reason I enjoy making baby sets is that they challenge my crochet skills. Sometimes I'm brave enough to try stitches that look difficult because they will give my item the desired effect. I need to engage my math skills when selecting stitch combinations and borders for my projects. It's fun to find the balance between shape and stitch count.

I used my passion and ever evolving skills to make my most fun pattern yet, the Sweet As Honey Baby Set.




One of the most engaging parts of pattern development in this case was the creation of the hexagon. When you crochet in the round your stitches need to increase at regular intervals or your circle will ripple instead of lay flat. Through some experimentation I was able to balance regular increases with a stitch pattern that would form the six distinct sides necessary for a pleasing hexagon and honeycomb pattern.


This pattern has enjoyed the most sales success and positive feedback of all of the patterns I have released so far. How exciting! As a side note, I'm glad that people are thinking about bees since recent research on bees and bee populations has been so alarming.

If you are interested in my new pattern, it is available here in my Ravelry store. Now to get to work on the next one!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Seriously??? It is not like they are real! This is ADORABLE, and a great gift from any Georgia Tech fan!

      Delete
    2. Anon, I think what Angela meant is that the plight of actual living honey bees is hard to think about given the drop in their numbers.

      Thank you for your compliment about the blanket :)

      Delete
  2. Such a cute Blanket & pattern!!

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.